Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Can't be bad, so make busy

A couple weeks or so ago, I think in Sundayschool we determined that if the devil cannot make you bad, he will just make you busy, to prevent you from doing good. Boy is that the truth. Last March, I applied for a sales position at work, and was passed up for it. They claimed it was an acidental post, but some things happened (not me doing anything) that made/ make me suspiscious. Anyways, a new and better one came open a few weeks ago, I went out for this one, pretty much knowing I wouldn't get it, and I didn't. But, a new one came open. Although nothing was set in stone, the impression was given to me that I would most likely get the position of the guy who got the trainee spot. So I went for it. Now the posting just closed, and I haven't interviewed yet, but I already know the other guy who went for it. He has seniority over me. But his position will come open, which is ok except......
I work in the warehouse, VERY, VERY hard. During the summer, it is not unusual to work 6 days to get the job done. This makes me extremely tired, and not able to see my family much, which drags me down. The position I am currently going for is a Mon-Fri job, like what I am supposed to be year round, and I would still be working alot of hours. Yes, I am sure I might still have to work a 6th day now and then, or I could, however, sinc that job would require some driving, and some time of literally just standing around waiting for work, I may be on clock 12+ hours a day, but only physically working 8 or so. So I won't be as tired. And this position would allow for Dawn, and possibly me to spend more time with Carly.
The position of the guy also going for it is a weekend position, what I went for back in March. it is Fri-Mon. Same work load pretty much, but i can get my 40 or so in four days, and when the economy picks back up, I have the OPTION to work a fith, and even sixth day. This position will also allow me to spend more time with my family...........
Now my dilema: I really doubt I can handle another summer in the warehouse. Yes we FINALLYgot rid of the jerk-off, but most likely we will replace with someone similar. I miss my family, and when I am home, I am too exhausted to do anything. (picture this: take 2 twelve pack, one each hand and lift them above your head about 150+ times. The pick up 8 2-liters and do the same 100+ times that will give you an idea of what I do). Since I want more time at home, or at least Dawn too, which she wants too. This is not really possible in the warehouse, plus since I want a career there, and there really are not any advancement opportunities in the warehouse, sales is the only way. Now back to the problem. I still could get the curent position, unlikely, but very possible. But if I don't, im either stuck in the warehouse missing valuable time with my family, or I am working weekends, most likely missing church (almost a guarantee). Either way not completely happy. Yeah I will definately be happier in sales, and defiantley pretty miserable another summer in the warehouse, but I want church too. I could go to a Wed nite thing, if they continue it.
I have no real time to find another job/ career. And with the economy, it is going to be almost impossible to find someone hiring that will pay enough to make ends meet, even with Dawn still working like she does. She brings alot in, not financially per-say, but without her income, we would fail in the off season, literally fail. I make really good money, espscially with all my OT in summer, so finding one that pays comprable to me now is even harder. Yes I said earlier we need help, and we do, Im not asking but will accept, thats again not this blog.
What I need right now is suggestions or solutions. Ive been praying, but no answer yet. So, do you have a job opening or know of one? I can get you a resume. What should I do? God is important to me, but so is my family. Dawn and Carly would be coming to church, just not me, if things go the way I am afraid. What should I do? Please help me.

2 comments:

Randi Jo :) said...

I don't know. we are going through the same thing. Right now I'm just praying for God to give us peace and to help us be thankful. thankful for the income we do have. thankful for the job when so many do not.

nothing lasts forever and we too are going through this same thing -- but we KNOW that it won't last forever. It's just a season. We miss each other too. I haver to believe there is something better waiting.

right now I'm just focusing on not taking for granted any moment we do have together and knowing that God has a plan -- but for right now we are exactly where He wants us to be.

I'd say get a resume together - fine tune it..... and in 5 - 6 months when the economy turns again - we'll start looking for jobs.

hey on our new southside website soon - we are also going to have a part of the website that is a way to post job openings that people hear about to help each other ! so look for that soon! :)

Rich and Becky Stout said...

I really know that feeling, James. It's really hard and I would make some suggestions but all the jobs that I know of are out here in Utah, so I don't think that would help you guys too much! If one of my uncles ends up with an opening out there in Wilmington I will definately let you know!